Wednesday, October 19, 2011

On defining publics

I left last week's public scholarship meeting feeling dismayed. I had been told that in describing and reading aloud my reflections on 'my publics', that I seemed to be envisioning my publics in two ways: an organizational public and a representational public.

Which left me thinking, "What the fuck?"

This was voiced by a professor trained in Cultural Studies and the Humanities, which use very different language than us social scientists. I asked for clarification, which unfortunately didn't help much. I wondered, "how am I supposed to articulate my thoughts for this class when I don't even understand the language being used?" So, I sought out some fellow geographers who went through the public scholarship program last year. We met for lunch today, and discussed many of the confusing points and areas of tension.

Amongst other things, this wonderful discussion time got me feeling slightly more confident about how to articulate my thoughts and direction for public scholarship. One peer reminded me that the language and angst arising out of cultural studies about public scholarship doesn't appear as much with geographers, because, well, we've been working with 'publics' for as long as there has been fieldwork! Cultural studies on the other hand has traditionally been much more theoretical and less focused on working with communities and public groups.

What this means for me as a public scholar is that I need to use language I feel comfortable with, rather than trying to apply my research interests and values through cultural studies language (no offense, cultural studies. you've done good work. i just don't get the vernacular).
I now recognize that defining myself as a public scholar is as much about how I articulate the value I see in my work as it is about fitting into specific language of 'publics/audiences'.

Another point of discussion related back to good ole' Laura Pulido, and her discussion of reciprocity. One of my colleagues was explaining their history of doing service work with local organizations, and that they pulled artifacts from this work to put in their portfolio. While not traditionally considered 'scholarship', this colleague and I both take Pulido's lead: sometimes, it doesn't matter what we as scholars want to do. If an organization needs help phone banking or filing, then do that! We don't always have to exert our 'expert knowledge' (if we even have it!). These engagements with community organizations and publics are a first step in a series of iterations of scholarship and identity as a public scholar. How can we begin to engage with an organization if we do not have rapport, common interests, and shared goals? This must begin somewhere, and it is often through these less professional, less structured encounters that we begin to see the greatest contradictions, tensions, interesting questions, etc.

So, while all of us lamented the fact that many of our colleagues in the CPS program had *worlds* more experience when it came to Public Scholarship (think: teaching college classes behind bars, curating museum shows, organizing oral history projects, writing for and collaborating with local social justice movements, starting collectives on campus...), we also have things to contribute. There is a) no one way to define public scholarship (so maybe we should stop trying); and b) everyone can articulate their own identity as a public scholar however they see fit.

This left me feeling far more comfortable with the new assignment, which is to draft a framing essay for our portfolio. Translation: I need to explain and frame the work that I have done, and plan to do, which will demonstrate my work as a public scholar. At the end of my studies, this portfolio should capture the way that I've engaged with the 'public', both in collaborative forms, and as audiences. So, at this point, I need to think about how I articulate the value of my work, the direction I plan to head, and what experiences and work has positioned me where I am now.

To my colleagues, thank you for your words of encouragement. Yes, it felt a bit motherly at times, but that is excellent. This is an incredibly iterative process, and it doesn't help that I'm trying to do this as I also apply for NSF funding, do my fieldwork, and think about how I will write my thesis. ::takes deep breath:: It will all happen with time!

No comments: