Sunday, October 23, 2011

transnational feminist praxis

I finally understand a bit more about the type of work my colleague Amy is undertaking!

I am soon off to bed, but wanted to include a quote that is food for thought in thinking through my own work, and what type of politics I want to adopt in my work. The following is from Richa Nagar and Amanda Swarr's collaborative transnational feminist praxis.

[we were trying to] conceptualize feminist collaboration as an intellectual and political practice that allows us to grapple with the possibilities and limitations of theory as praxis and insists upon problematizing the rigid compartmentalization that separates research from pedagogy, academic from activist labor, and theorizing from performative arts.

During the first public scholarship colloquium, Gillian Harkins explained that 'the university doesn't like us to give away our labor for free", as we are often seen to do in the form of 'activist labor' mentioned above. But, as an individual person, how can I draw a line between my activist work, when it is 'for the university' or 'for the community'? The work should, ideally, speak for itself. Perhaps this is another way to see ourselves as a scholar-artifact.

Anyway, it's a good quote to chew on, and were it earlier in the day, I would likely have more to say about it. I can say this: it is infinitely easier to read about this stuff than to actually do it. But the doing is what its all about...

No comments: